Kenny had just been home from his mission for like three weeks, or more specifically 19 days. I was down in Moab for the weekend as I was most of the weekends after he got back. I had begun to wonder what his plans were for us, and I know that it had only been 19 days, but man I had plans to make! It was right about the time that I was supposed to be deciding where I should go for my next year of nursing school, and I needed to be turning in applications pretty soon. I had been planning on staying in Price if I could, or maybe going up north to UVSC's program. And the only plan I had heard Kenny talk about was that he probably would go to SUU. I wasn't sure what to do, as Cedar City wasn't even in my tentative plans. I definitely didn't want to break up, but I didn't want to be in any kind of long distance relationship mess either.
Kenny invited me to go hiking with him, and I always loved to be with him no matter what, so I said ok. It would also give us a chance to talk about things. We set out for Hidden Valley which we had hiked once before together, right before he left on his mission. It's pretty steep going up so we didn't talk a lot as we were quite out of breath most of the way up. When we got to the top, I planned on bringing up my concerns once we sat down for a break. When we got to the spot where we were going to rest, I sat down and Kenny said "I have to use the bathroom, I'll be right back." So I just sat there and waited, hoping he had some form of Purell in his backpack.
When he got back he had a funny look on his face. He looked nervous. When he got back to where I was he got down on one knee and pulled out a little black ring box. I thought Oh, crap! He went and picked out my engagement ring all by himself ! Oh crap oh crap oh crap! He said some very sweet things, and then as he asked me to marry him, he opened the box. And I sighed with relief, because it was actually a very beautiful ring. I said yes, and we were happy, and we kissed and then we sat and talked before heading back down the mountain. As we headed out, he turned to me and said "You didn't even cry, I thought you would cry." I told him that I just really wasn't the crying type, which is true, but I didn't want to tell him that I had been so nervous about the ring he had picked out that I didn't have time to think about crying.
Now we have been married almost five years and it's really been great fun. We have a happy little life that I wouldn't trade with anybody. I love you, Kenny, and I'm really glad you got me a good ring!

2 comments:
What a great story, and you guys look so cute! I wouldn't have even known the picture was from five years ago except there you are in hiking footwear of years gone by - Doc Martin sandels instead of today's choice of hiking footwear - Flip flops.
The comment about Purell made me laugh outloud. And the concern over the ring--I mean we love them all to pieces, but they are still boys, and they still require a lot of training.
Was the picture taken on that day? It's a great emotional shot with excellent color.
Post a Comment