Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lots to catch up on, I tell you, lots!

What's that you ask? Why, that's Aiden's bum in big boy undies. The Lightning McQueen kind. No, he is not potty trained, not even close, really. We got him a little "my size" potty a while ago to introduce him to the toilet (a clean one) and recently we got him some undies to see if he would wear them. And he did, he just got pretty mad (and I mean REALLY mad) when he couldn't wear a second pair as a shirt.
He finally peed the other night . . . on the potty! Kenny was so excited he called me at work to tell me. I didn't know better, and I answered the phone at the front desk. The whole nurses station overheard my conversation. It went something like this "He did? Oh my gosh, I can't believe it. Aiden, did you go pee pee on the potty, wow, you are such a big boy!" So far, he has not done it again but he did pee in four pair of big boy undies in four hours the next day, so we said forget it for now and we threw the diaper back on.
We went back to the farm for a night out with friends, minus the picking pumpkins part this time. Aiden just had a ball climbing the haystacks and driving the tractor.



And the biggest report for the weekend, Aiden is done with the rag, at our insistence. We talked to him about it every night, telling him how big he is and that big boys don't need rags. We told him we would tie them to balloons and send them up to the stars, and he loved that idea. So, a week later (tonight) we did. We got 24 balloons, which I thought was almost perfect because when we got home a counted the rags there were 23 of them. Then I found out that it took 3 balloons to hold one rag afloat. So, we tied 8 rags to balloons, and Aiden ceremoniously threw the leftover ones in the garbage. No problem.

He thought it was great, and almost as soon as I handed him the bundle and told him to go over to the grass and let them go, he did it.

It was about this point, where the balloons were about even with the tree that he realized they weren't coming back, and he couldn't catch them. He sobbed and screamed for them, then all was better when Ruby and Taylor brought out their slide.


I felt a little like crying too, watching those rags fly away. Those are his soothers, and can comfort him like nothing else can. I'm perfectly willing to stand in as a replacement, if he'll allow it! I wish I had gotten a picture of him sobbing before I rushed over there to hold him. At least he got to say goodbye, and I did too.

Then tonight we got to go to a concert by Michael McLean, It was called "From God's arms, to my arms, to yours". It was sponsored by Families Supporting Adoption, and it was awesome. He sang and told stories and made everyone cry. I listen to that song all the time on CD, and I have wanted for a long time to hear it in person. It was phenomenal. He did such a great job. It's been a busy weekend, I'm not looking forward to the work week at all, yuck!

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Yay for Aiden and yay for you! We're working up to getting rid of Porter's pacifiers and it's going to have to happen sometime soon. Love the balloon idea.

Unknown said...

BYE BYE rags!!! Don't worry Jill, I took like 20 pictures of him waving goodbye to his rags and crying. I couldn't stop snapping because he is soooooo dang cute! I'll get them to you asap :)

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Good job Aiden- that must have been hard.

I'm so sad that we wont' get to see you this weekend, but understand. We'll see you in a couple weeks for Thanksgiving at least...

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

Cute pic jill it was a fun weekend and good luck with the potty thing.

Moab Cozzens said...

I'm sad he's lost his rags, but glad the balloon idea worked. I love that Michael McLean song, too. How fun to get to go to his concert!