Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blind sided

Kenny came home from work early today.

That happens from time to time, though he rarely comes home before 2:00 pm. I am always secretly excited though, when he is early because, well just because I love it when he is home with us. It's just more fun that way.

I was asleep in bed, because I worked last night. As I looked at him with my foggy eyes, he kneeled down by the bed and said "I have some bad news" and I knew. "I got laid off today" yeah, that's what I thought. I said over and over again "are you being totally and completely serious?" and after I was certain it wasn't just a mean joke, we huddled together and supported each other.

Honestly, we've dodged this bullet for longer than I thought we would. Way back at the beginning of the year, the housing market started to go downhill, and we held our breaths for months as employee after employee at his company got laid off, every day taking a deep breath and waiting for our turn. We got kind of lazy lately though, and forgot to hold our breaths, so at least we were both breathing when we got the wind knocked out of us. It would have hurt more had we not been breathing already.

Don't worry about us too much though, we'll be ok. We pay our tithing. We say family prayers. We have faith that we'll be protected and blessed for our efforts to live the way we should. Even before he came home to tell me the news, he had an interview with another company. I have a good job, and can step it up as needed until he finds other employment. Luckily for us, people will always continue to get sick no matter how bad the economy gets. That's probably the wrong way to look at things. At least I bought my camera before this happened, otherwise we never would have been able to justify such an expenditure.

And now, I am going to take a short nap and go back to work.

5 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Jill, I'm so sorry to hear that. That really sucks! You guys will be in our prayers. Let us know how the job interview goes.

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Oh Jill! I'm so sorry. We are also praying for you. Its good to hear your good attitude and strong faith. It will see you through. Good luck Kenny with the job interview- please let us know if we can help in any way!

The Odd Couple said...

Jill, I understand the stress we have been down that road oh about 3 times already. When everyone sends out their Christmas cards with all the good things that happened- I always joke that I was going to send one on my year....Ezra lost his job for no apparent good reason...blah blah blah.... It is tough but you will get through it...if you're looking to make a little extra cash and aren't working on Friday the 24th my friend and I are going to a show there and need a sitter for her baby. He is a year old....?? If not maybe you could direct us to someone who could sit for her? Love you lots and hang in there!

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

Jill you and Kenny are very strong and I admire your attitude. I am planning on watching Aiden on Thursday and I want you to know that I am here for whatever you need. Please don't hesitate to call.

Chelle said...

I'm so sorry. You guys are so amazing and I'm sure that you will get through this. Good luck to Kenny on his job interview. Let us know if we can do anything.