I have been working on this quilt for several weeks now, I'm embarrassed to admit, but I finally feel as though I am beginning to make some progress. Now this is, after all, only the second quilt I've ever made in my life, and the first without direct adult supervision. My mom came down a few weeks ago and helped me pick out the fabric (I picked out the pattern by myself thank you, luckily a super easy one) and she helped me cut out the pieces. Then I brought it home and attempted to piece it using only the directions on the pattern (magazine). They really are pretty self explanatory, but I don't know completely basic things off the top of my head, like that you always always use a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Now in my defense, I did know the word seam allowance, and what it meant, I just didn't know which one to use. So, I used to line closest to the needle and figured that if I used the same seam allowance on every piece, it should come out alright. That was my first and biggest oops. After I had sewn all of the little squares and was starting to attach them all the the bigger rectangles, they weren't fitting. At all. So first, I called my mom and cried to her. Then, I sat there for hours and unstitched and re-stitched every single one. Anyway, after a couple more minor bumps in the road, here is my progress. It should look somewhat similar to this when it is done.

And this is what it looks like now.

I'm getting excited and scared at the same time. I'm really not sure at all what to do with it once it's all pieced.
And another thing, 
3 comments:
I'm excited to see your finished quilt! It's looking cute. I can't believe you unpicked and resewed all those pieces! The picture of Aiden jumping on the bed made me laugh - right out loud - at work, where I'm not supposed to be on the internet. It's only normal he's jumping on the bed, he's jumped on everything else :)
I'm glad to see that you're still quilting after our lovely college course in it. It looks great so far...keep going!
I am so jealous that you know how to quilt. I wish I had the time and patience to do it. I bet it will be beautiful when its all finished.
Post a Comment