Saturday, September 27, 2008

A project

I recently (a couple of weeks ago) heard of a young couple who was in a plane crash in Arizona. They are originally from Utah, but are now residents of Arizona and they have four young kids. There were three people in the plane, the husband and wife, and the husband's flight instructor. The instructor died hours after the crash, and the other two were burned badly. Their names are Stephanie and Cristian, Stephanie was burned over 80% of her body and has been in a medically induced coma for weeks undergoing treatments and skin grafts, and is still in critical condition. Christian is doing better and is awake now, healing.

Stephanie had a blog before the crash, and had been a popular blogger, and as people heard of the accident, the blogging community has come together to help raise funds for this family, whose medical costs are going to be in the millions. Stephanie's sister is also a blogger, and now her website www.cjanerun.blogspot.com is dedicated to raising money, getting the word out, giving updates on the conditions of the victims, and telling their story of raising their newborn son and her sister's four kids.

I felt bad because there really isn't that much I could do to help. I don't have much extra money, and I don't have any famous family members that will let me auction off their stuff. However, someone has had a great idea, and I think it's something I (and anyone else) can help with.

As Stephanie's sister, Courtney was bringing her sister's kids and their stuff home to Utah with her after the accident, the bag that contained all of the kids quilts--which where hand quilted by their mother, made out of their baby clothes--flew off the top of their car and has never been seen again. This project is collecting squares of fabric to make new quilts for her kids. I think it's an awesome idea, I'm sure Stephanie would appreciate the gesture, and I know if it were my child (or children), I would be grateful. The link to the project is www.quilt4nie.blogspot.com . I'm excited to be able to do something little that may end up helping in a big way.

No comments: