Wednesday, September 10, 2008

An ordeal at the doctor's

I took Aiden to visit the doctor yesterday for his two year old well child check. Yes, I was a month late, thanks for asking. It's always an ordeal to go see the doctor, he hates every second of it. I can see why he hates the pokes he gets, but why does he hate the doctor so much? The group we go to is made up of an MD, a PA and and nurse practitioner. We usually see the nurse practitioner, he's the one we've seen since we moved here. This time when I called to make our appointment though, I told them it didn't matter who we saw. All day long I talked up the doctor, and tried to make it an exciting thing that we were going to see him. While we were sitting in the waiting room the NP that we normally see came out into the waiting room for two seconds before turning and leaving. He didn't even look our way, but Aiden saw him and covered his eyes, screamed and scrambled into my lap. Good start right?
They had to take some blood first thing, so that starts things off just right. Then the doctor came in and luckily he was a different one than we usually see. He was actually great. He played with Aiden for a little bit at first, and even did the Donald Duck voice, which Aiden loves. Aiden didn't fall for it though. He cried and screamed and thrashed for most of the two and a half hours we were at the doctors office. Luckily Kenny was there with us, because we had to hold him down physically for most of the exam. It's so awful to hear him scream like that! Then they stabbed a needle in his little thigh, and let us go home.
My favorite part of the ordeal is when they take his measurements and tell me how gigantic he is. He is just over three feet tall at 38 inches which puts him in the 97th percentile, 29lb 13oz in the 70th percentile, and his head is finally starting to catch up with the rest of him in the 50th percentile. Last time his head was barely in the 20th percentile, and that was an improvement.
I can't believe how big my boy is getting! I call him my big baby because he loves it when I rock him in my arms and sing him rock a bye baby, or any of the primary lullaby songs. He's getting so smart! He talks with no problem, often copying everything we say. He can count to 15, and knows most of his alphabet but still skips some letters. I'm surprised every day by something, I love spending my days with him, we have so much fun together.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Oh don't you love the trips to the doctors, my kids hate them even Shaelynn still hates the doctors. What a smart little boy he is my 4year olds in preschool don't even know that much.

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Don't you hate it when people stick a needle in your baby's leg? I do!

Moab Cozzens said...

Yeah, you need Jay there to do the real Donald Duck voice. Aiden just knows a phony Donald Duck when he hears it.