Monday, July 30, 2012

snakes, guitars, and fire

After we played volleyball, we headed back up to the cabin for a while,
and spent some time playing outside (when it wasn't raining...)


And then we hiked down to the creek.
Like I've said before, Aiden's obsessed with catching a snake. We thought
that getting a hamster would cure his need to own a snake, but it hasn't helped.
Now, instead of wanting to go to the pet store to buy one, he wants to catch one in the wild.
And whenever we go outside, he's prepared to catch a snake.

So when we got down to the creek and he started looking for a snake, much to Aiden's delight and my dismay, somebody yelled, "hey, I saw a snake over here!"



So here they are looking for it and trying to catch it.
The best part was when it had slithered into a little hole, and Aiden reached his hand down to try to grab it, and yelled "oh my gosh, I just touched my very first snake!" with a huge grin on his face.


After not too long, they caught it. I don't think it was actually Aiden that caught it,
 but that didn't matter. He was over the moon.


 I think it's so funny that in this picture, Aiden has a snake in his hands, and Shannon
has a bunch of wildflowers. Not that Shannon didn't hold the snake too. She definitely took her turn.


Capri played by the side of the creek, and then eventually everyone stripped down to undies
and diapers to play in the creek.



Everyone except Aiden, because he's caught the modesty bug.
He was horrified when I suggested he take his pants off so he could play in the water.
We ended up just rolling his pants up ;)



It didn't keep them from getting wet though!

Later we headed back up to the cabin to hang out.


We hung out for while on the back porch, singing the camping
songs we always sing at the cabin. It's tradition.



Kyle, on the guitar.


My beautiful grandma, singing.

Every year at the reunion, we have a family talent show,
and each family is showcased, and "performs" something. It can be anything,
and it doesn't necessarily have to be a talent.


Most years, if the amphitheater down at the girl's camp isn't being used,
we go down there. But this year there were so few of us there that
we just sat around the fire and did it there.













Jay's "talent" involved silly string, and the kids kind of took over.


After the show, everybody roasts hot dogs and marshmallows,
and hangs around and talks. I hope this is what Heaven is like :)

4 comments:

Moab Cozzens said...

I hope this is what heaven is like, too. It must be :)

The Johnsons said...

So sad I missed the reunion for the 2nd year in a row. I will be there next year!

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Yes, Aiden caught that snake. I watched him pull it out of the hole. I can't believe after all the hype of wanting to catch a snake that he actually did. It was too funny!

Olson Family said...

You have such a cute little family. Wish we would have been able to see them at the reunion. We will for sure be there next year! :)