Monday, July 30, 2012
cabin sanctuary
About a month ago, it seemed the entire state of Utah was on fire. And there were new fires popping up daily. It was then that we found out that the mountain that our family's cabin sits on was on fire as well. The fire burned for two weeks before it was either out, or contained enough that they weren't worried about it so much anymore.
We go up at least once a year, and it's one of my favorite places on Earth. To say I was nervous about it, is an understatement. When I thought of our little sanctuary, our little bit of Heaven in the mountains burning, I felt sick. My (extended) family, all of us, built that cabin ourselves. Well, I probably helped the least of anybody, but still. It was a lot of work, a lot of time and effort, and it's been a work in progress since. It's not a fancy cabin, but it's like a second home to a lot of us.
We finally got to go up and see first hand that our cabin was still standing, and our piece of the mountain had been left untouched, the weekend before the 24th. I've never been so happy to see that beautiful site. The fire got close, it burned to the top of the next ridge over, and you can see charred trees right at the top of that ridge, but that's where it stopped.
And once again, we were able to enjoy and relaxing, fun, beautiful family reunion at the cabin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ah! YES It's still there!!!
Post a Comment