Friday, June 27, 2008

Greetings from Mesa Verde

For our anniversary, Kenny and I wanted to do something fun but inexpensive, and we also had to consider that wherever we went we would have to drop Aiden off in Moab on the way, so we settled on Mesa Verde, Colorado. We rented this cute little cabin at a KOA in Cortez. It's cute and cheap, and I think it's the way to go from now on.

For our first day we went on a little guided tour through "Cliff Palace". It was really neat, we could see it from above and then we got to walk right down to the ruins and see them up close. It was like a whole little city. This photo is taken from across the canyon, I think it is so neat to see it nestled in the rock surrounded by green.


This is the view from right above Cliff Palace, then we dropped down into it for the tour.And this is how we got back up and out of the ruins. There was this nice little ladder strategically placed so we could climb on out. After the tour we drove around to see what else there was to see, and we were just amazed at all there is. About every 100 feet on the road there is a pull-out so that you can look aver the edge and see these. There were little dwellings like this all over the place.
There were also tons of these little dwellings built right into the cliff wall. My question is, how did they get in and out of them. Surely they left the house every once in a while right?
Tomorrow we are doing another of the tours that go down into the ruins like we did today, so I hope you are ready for lots more pictures! My mom was gracious and kind and lent me her fancy pants camera, so we can get shots of things we wouldn't dream of getting with our little point and shoot!

6 comments:

Moab Cozzens said...

What a cute little cabin. I love the porch swing! Glad you are having fun on your vacation. We are looking forward to and making plans for our turn with Aiden tomorrow.

Rory, Trina, Katy, and Trey said...

How fun! I love looking at Indian Ruins. We would always go in Lake Powell. I wish me and Rory could have done something fun and romantic for our 5th year anniversary, but when you are 8 months pregnant there isn't much fun or romance!

Chelle said...

You two look like you're having so much fun! Enjoy the time away!

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

Wow that looks like tons of fun I want more details on this trip and how you found cabin ect when you get home.

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Good idea! Looks like a fun little anniversary, although what are you doing blogging on your vacation? You are addicted :)

Paul said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you stayed in Cortez! I thought I was the only one who knew where that place was! HA HA! My mom actually lives in Dolores (which is a suburb of Cortez if you can believe that) We are going there next month. You guys have been doing all kinds of fun stuff lately!