Sunday, October 18, 2009

ha ha ha ha ha! (this is me laughing)

Kenny learned an important lesson last week. Actually, two important lessons. First, listen to your wife. Second, we don't go fishing on Sunday.

Last Sunday (yes, a whole week ago) when we came home from church, I put Aiden down for a nap and Kenny insisted on going fishing. I told him it wasn't a Sunday appropriate activity, etc., but he went anyway. He came home about an hour and half later and said to me-"we have to go to the doctor's." I actually was a little worried when I heard that, I was picturing severed fingers and toes or something pretty awful. Then he showed me the fish hook in his arm.
Apparently, he had been fishing, at the lake, and he was casting, when he got his lure caught in some nearby weeds. He tugged and tugged on the line, until SNAP! the hook came flying back at lightning speed and THWACK! the hook stuck right in his arm. He tried, while the adrenaline was flowing, to pull it out, and when that didn't work to push it through, but it was stu-uck. So, that's when he drove home with his whole lure hanging off his arm "like some piercing gone wrong" (as Kenny put it) and told me to drive him to the doctor's. It was a three prong hook, and one entire hook was embedded in his forearm.
The only doctor's office open on Sunday besides the ER, is the instacare. So, I dropped Kenny off at the Instacare and then drove Aiden to my brother's house. There were about 40 people waiting in the waiting room, and half of them had masks on, so I didn't want Aiden even in the waiting room. After I dropped Aiden off, I drove back to wait with my husband like a good wife should. After the three hour wait, we finally got back to see the doctor.
The nurse practitioner came back first, looked at his arm, and told him that they would probably have to numb his arm, push the hook the rest of the way through his arm, cut off the barb on the end, and then pull it back through. (Which is what he tried to do, and what I offered to do but he wouldn't let me.) She went back out and told the doctor what she was planning to do, (we could hear their entire conversation because they were right on the other side of the curtain) and he said "no, we don't have to do that, I have a trick. Just get me a piece of string, and we'll have it out in a second." So, then a few minutes later they both come in and the doctor has a string. He wrapped the string around the hook, and then pushed down on the whole hook as he says "first, you push down to disengage the barb, then you YANK" and as he said that he yanked on the string, and the fish hook went flying across the room.
You should have seen the look on Kenny's face! I wish I had taken pictures of that! My first thought was, why didn't I think of that? I SO could have done that, and it would have saved us a whole Instacare visit. Next time, I guess. Which, hopefully will be never, because Kenny claims he has learned his lesson.

7 comments:

Knutson Family said...

KENNY! YOU SORRY SLACKER!!

What were you thinkin' anyway, fishing on the Lord's Holy Sabbath?

THE HOLY SABBATH, KENNY!

My friend, it may be in your best interest to review Isaiah 58:13-14.

Also, I think there is a scripture somewhere that says:

"Thou shalt listen to thy wife always when she warns thee of thine unholy recreation--when thou shouldst be an example of worship, prayer, service, and other worthy sabbath activities--lest thou go out and do something stupid like yank a fish lure into thine arm, even into the tender flesh thereof, and end up on thy wife's blog, to be mocked and scorned by thy friends, who are smart enough to listen to their wives, are more righteous, and holier than their husbands. And thus it is, Amen."

I'm pretty sure that's how the scripture goes, Kenny! You'd know that if you were home READING them with your family instead of out cavorting and breaking the Sabbath!

All I can say is I hope you've learned your lesson.

:P

Olson Family said...

Thank you Kenny for being our entertainment for the night! We all got a good laugh out of that one! I can't wait til Grandpa hears about this!

Chelle said...

Ooh, I think you hit the official blog stardom that you were looking for Kenny.

Rory, Trina, Katy, and Trey said...

OUCH!!! If men would only listen to their wives. I mean we ALWAYS listen to them!

When I bought Trey's crocodile costume I was thinking, "Jill is going to wish she saw this!". If it was bigger I would have told you about it. Now Aiden gets to wear the cute green tights. Too bad we live so far away. It would be fun to have them go trick or treating together.

Moab Cozzens said...

I would just like to say AMEN to Jordan's comment from above. I got a good laugh the day Jill told me about it on the phone, and another one today reading it. You are such a good entertainer, Kenny

The Johnsons said...

Oh my aren't all men the same. I loved the story, it gave me a nice laugh and a flood of memories from Ryan's dumb mishaps

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

I'm glad you had the frame of mind to take a picture. Just pull that out as a reminder. I still have a big triangle scar reminding me not to ride 4-wheelers on Sunday. Something I've never forgotten :)