
Our internet has been "out of commission" for a little while, so there have been a few things that I wanted to post and just couldn't because of no access to the world wide web.
I was making Aiden's lunch the other day and to keep him out of my way for a few minutes, I turned on the TV so he could watch a cartoon while I finished. The movie Eight Below was on, and since it has dogs on it, I figured Aiden would love it.
It was already a bit into the movie, where one of the dogs jumps hard on an ice cliff, it breaks off and he slides/falls down the hill. Aiden was sitting in his chair watching and was snacking on his vegetables (I require him to eat some veggies before he can eat real food, or he just won't eat them at all.) when he started saying "Oh, poor dog. Poor, poor dogs!" What got my attention was that his voice was breaking as if he were emotional. Emotional? He's two! I looked over, and he had huge tears running down his face. In the movie the one dog was laying broken on the ground, and his dog buddies were surrounding him, whining. I went over to Aiden to hold him and explain that it's ok, it's just a movie and really that dog is ok. Then one of the dogs started to paw at the snow by the injured dog, and tries to get him to get up. For Aiden, that was the last straw. He said "Oh, momma!", then he put his little face into my shoulder and just started sobbing. It was heartbreaking. I hurried to turn the movie off, which I should have done in the first place. My poor boy was so horrified. I tried to explain that the dog was hurt, but his friends were there and they were helping him.
He cried for half an hour, then I finally calmed him down enough to take a nap. He woke up wondering about that "poor dog, the big one that fell down" and his eyes welled up again. This continued on through the day, and every time he thought about that dog, his face scrunched into the saddest face I have ever seen, his eyes welled up and if his emotions got the best of him, he'd start to sob.

He remembers the movie, and asks about that dog sometimes. He still can't talk about it without getting emotional.
3 comments:
You just have to love a boy who can cry over dogs.
Kenny needs to take Aiden coyote hunting more. That oughtta toughen him up. That way Kenny can explain to him that in real life we shoot dogs. If you don't, then they get into the chicken coop and kill the chickens! Stinkin' dogs.
Just kidding, Jill. I'm not all that bad. I cried when I read Where the Red Fern Grows. Poor Ol' Dan and Little Ann... *sniff*
By the way, Jill, you're getting pretty fancy with those photos. Nice work!
Post a Comment