Friday, August 19, 2011

swimming lessons

After two summers of meaning to put Aiden in swim lessons, but not actually following through, we finally did it. I was nervous about how he would do, because he's always been really freaky about getting water on his face. He would not, regardless of threat, bribery or reward, put his head under the water. And if we did it for him, he would FREAK OUT.

The cute girl that was his teacher though, was so good and so cute with all the kids, and on the first day of lessons Aiden put his whole face in the water. And all she asked him to do was put his ear in. Going to watch his lessons every day for two weeks was the highlight of my summer. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

This was the last day of swim lessons, on his birthday.


See that? A miracle.



He always takes a minute or two to wipe all traces of water off his face when he's out.

He did so good in his lessons, way better than I thought he ever would. He was always happy and willing to "dip" under the water when asked, and sometimes he even just did it on his own for fun. He loved the game where they each would throw a ring out into the water and they'd go out and get their own ring. The little wading pool where they had their lessons started out at about a foot deep, and got more and more deep the farther out you got. Aiden would take his ring, walk out a little way, then throw it as far as he could. He always took longest to get his ring because he threw it three times as far as anyone else (which would put it way deeper under the water too), but he always got his own ring with no help. I can't even say how proud I am of him.
Capri enjoyed watching her brother play in the water. I'm pretty sure she wanted to join him, because every chance she got she headed for the water, but we had fun on the sidelines.


This was his other favorite game, Shark in a Basket. So so cute!!