Thursday, January 21, 2010

skater dude

Aiden got roller skates for Christmas. For about a year or so, I've had visions of him skating around and around our little circle with glee, his face all happy and lit up with a smile. I tried to find him some skates for his birthday, but I didn't want the cheap expandable ones (those aren't real roller skates) and I didn't want expensive ones. And obviously, roller blades wouldn't work. He is three after all. It took me a while, but I eventually found the nearly perfect pair at Target.

We took him outside one day to try them out, and it went nothing like I had envisioned. It went a lot like this..

So Kenny grabbed him, held him, and we tried to instruct him in the art of moving his feet to make them roll, and also, staying upright.

It seems he could only master one at a time. Making the wheels roll, or staying upright.


This is the one time he took off on his own

And then he took some time to wave to a friend, and...

Crash! Thanks to the neighbors, who, minutes before this crash gave us a pair of elbow/knee pads.

Then, minutes after the crash, I found the happy face I was looking for.


Happiness. Pure, happiness.

6 comments:

Knutson Family said...

I once tried roller skating. It didn't end in a happy face.

Unknown said...

Those skates are sooo cool!

Lisa said...

i want to come the rip the pavement with you Aiden!

The Johnsons said...

Paeton was skating last night in my kitchen, it went about the same way Aiden's did. At least he had gear on, what a good mom you are. I finally took one off and let her go it was much easier that way.

Kimbrey-Daniel said...

Cute! I love your "urban" processing on those. Is that an action or did you do it on your own?

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

Of course it's not my own, it's PW's colorized action.