Thursday, December 3, 2009

the tree


The day after Thanksgiving we all headed out for the day to find that perfect, magical Christmas tree. Because of last years fiasco, we own a fake tree, but it just isn't as magical as the real trees we've had in the past, so we were off to capture the magic again.

I'm not a real genious mom, and I forgot to bring Aiden a jacket of any kind, but luckily Kyle and Michelle were there with their child's extra jacket, which just happened to fit on the small side on Aiden, just enough to keep him pretty cozy warm.

Well, mostly cozy warm. Right after this picture, I took off my jacket and wrapped him up in it. That's right, I remember to bring my own jacket, but didn't remember to bring one for my son. I blame the fact that I worked all night the night before, and hadn't slept at all yet.

Here's my man, posing. No, this isn't the tree we cut down, not even close. Think this tree, times eight.
And here's Aiden all bundled up in whatever jackets we could find, aka Porter's jacket, which was on the small side, and my mom's sweater, which was just on the large side. It made for a pretty cute ensemble.
We found our perfect, albeit gigantic, tree at the very last second, and cut it down as it was getting dark. I didn't quite realize how big this tree was, till we got it home and tried to set it up. Luckily for all of us, my dad was there to help, or I'm afraid we never would have gotten it up. It was an adventure, to say the least.
Then, last night, we decorated the heck out of it.It almost fell over twice more, but after we filled the bottom of the tree stand with gravel (thanks Kyle, for the suggestion, and thanks HOA for the rocks) that tree isn't going anywhere. I'm fairly certain of it.
This is barely half the tree. In my tiny house, I could not get a good angle where I could get the entire tree in my lens. Just imagine it continuing and getting bigger and more full toward the bottom!
Aiden had such a good time decorating, he loved it. I love that he's old enough to enjoy this stuff now. Last year we gave him an ornament to put on the tree and he couldn't have cared less. This year he was all over it, asking me constantly "where should I put this one momma?" and "pick me up there so I can put it high high HIGH!".

6 comments:

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

You guys are so good to do a real tree. We always had a real tree in my home growing up and it does bring a magical filling.

Knutson Family said...

I think that "magical filling" mentioned in the above comment is called pine sap.

Hey Jill, good luck with your tree not tipping over this year. And P.S. you need to get yourself a wide angle lens. Then you can take a picture of your whole tree, top to bottom. I LOVE my 18-55mm. I could not live without it. I'd just give up. It has so many practical uses, and allows for creative shots that you can't get any other way. Someday I'd like a lens that goes even wider, like 12mm.

Do yourself a favor and ask for a wide angle lens for your camera for Christmas.

combes said...

you guys are so brave after last years tree fiasco. I am proud of you for that especially such a BIG tree!

The Johnsons said...

Wow! What a nice tree. Looks like fun getting it, it brought back memories from Ryan and I's first Christmas getting a tree. Yours is really pretty, but I think I will stick with my fake tree.

Moab Cozzens said...

What a fun day that was!! And I love it that MY jacket was on the LARGE side. I also love it that YOU have the giant tree this year and mine is a manageable size :)

Jill, Kenny, Aiden and Capri said...

OK mom, I meant that your jacket was on the large side for AIDEN. Not in general!