Aiden and I decided to walk over and get some doughnuts from our friendly neighborhod . . . Maverick. What can I say, we don't have a kripsy kreme store here, so we go to Maverick. They have krispy kreme's there. Aiden loves doughnuts. They make his world go round. There is a Maverick store pretty close to where we live, so I decided (at Aiden's insistence) that we could walk there, get our doughnuts, walk from there to the park to eat our doughnuts, and then walk back home. Not too far right? Well, It's not that far driving. It's a little farther to walk. With a two year old.
On the way, Aiden taught me how to skip "Aiden style".
Then, when we got close enough that he could see the top of the "doughnuts" as he calls it, he started to run.
There it is! We went in and I got three doughnuts. One for him, and two for me. I'm a hungry girl ok? Don't judge me. I however decided after the first doughnut that I didn't want the second one, so we saved it for later.
Aiden sure enjoyed his doughnut.
And he lusted after the one that was left.
After we finished our one doughnut each, we walked to the park. I know the original plan included us eating at the park, but Aiden couldn't wait. He insisted on carrying the last doughnut, and had it with him at all times. Down the slide, on the swing, everywhere he went he clutched that little bag in his sticky little hand. Then it started to get dark, so we headed home. Aiden ditched the bag somewhere along the way and just carried the doughnut, till that was too much temptation and he ended up eating it before we got home. That was okay with me, because as long as he was preoccupied with eating the doughnut, he wasn't concerned with how far he had walked, and that he had never walked that far before.
The only hitch came when we got to the fence that we used to just step over, but it had been fixed up all nice and tight with barbed wire and everything. I had to decide if I wanted to brave the barbed wire, or walk a longer distance, probably in the dark along a busy road. I forgot how skinny I am not, and tried to shimmy my way through two of the strands of barbed wire. I got stuck halfway, pinned on both sides by barbs catching my jacket, and my pants. It was at that point that I thought about how cows sometimes get stuck in barbed wire fences and die, and that was all it took. I forgot about ripping my pants and jacket, and just forced my way through. Aiden was easy I just made him crawl on his face under the fence. He's much smaller than I am. We got home just fine before dark even. I only ended up carrying Aiden for five minutes of the whole endeavor. He was a pretty tough kid. It must have been worth it too, because every day he asks to walk to doughnuts again.

5 comments:
What a cute story - and a fun day!
How fun! And I reading your story wishing I had a doughnut right now, i'm jealous.
How fun! And I reading your story wishing I had a doughnut right now, i'm jealous.
I'm sure I would walk that far for a doughnut. I love the shot of Aiden "lusting" for the doughnut in the background. Your getting pretty good with that fancy pants camera of yours.
Post a Comment