Thursday, April 8, 2010

nobody ever told us how to teach him...

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone reading this blog, but did you know our Aiden is adopted?? It should be pretty obvious to anyone who sees our family all together. White momma, white daddy, brown child.

We have come across some pretty weird people who ask some pretty weird questions over the last 3 1/2 years. Yes, he is "ours". No, he did not "cook too long". Yes , he did "come with the tan". I had one lady-a perfect stranger by the way- ask me-after she had seen me, Kenny, and Aiden all together-if I was breastfeeding. Now why would someone ask a total stranger such a personal question, and really?? I obviously did not give birth to this baby, so how would that be possible? Another guy asked Kenny "So, what's the story with your son, because I've seen you, and I've seen your wife, and it just doesn't add up."

I really wanted to continually be teaching Aiden about adoption, and about his specific story, so that there wasn't a certain "time" that he learned he was adopted. I wanted him to grow up knowing. It was been kind of awkward at times, attempting to teach him in terms he can understand, what it means to be adopted.

Now, however, I think he gets it-almost. He knows that he is adopted. He knows he grew in another girls tummy-his birthmom-and then when he came out (this is the part of the story where he interjects that he screamed "get me out of here") he came to live with us because she just couldn't take care of him like he deserved. It's been quite a blessing, actually, that almost every woman he knows, has had a baby in her tummy at some point, and then that baby comes out, and wha-la, they have a baby! So he totally gets that part. He also knows that his birthmom is Kimberlyn, and that "our baby" (the one we will get some day, I love that in his mind, we always have this baby out there, we just have to find it!) will grow in his/her birthmom's tummy as well, and come out just like he did, and he/she will come to live with us too.

He loves to find out who else is adopted. He's asked me multiple times about his friends, if they are adopted too, and of course most of them are not. (There was one, but she moved away). I do want him to feel that he is special because he is adopted, but I don't want him to feel way different, so we've been creating a list of who else is adopted. Here is our list so far

  1. Lambert the Sheepish Lion
  2. Jordan-the cute little girl who moved away
  3. Superman
  4. Todd on Fox and the Hound
  5. Moses

There were a few more that we had on the list, but we've forgotten them. He keeps this running tally in his mind, and when we think of another person that is adopted, he shouts "that's five people!!"

He loves that he is adopted, that he is special. I know he probably won't always feel the way he feels about it now, but I hope that he's never upset or angry about being adopted. I hope he always has this wonder for learning about his own adoption and his story. He's the most special kid I know in every way and not because he's adopted, and not even because he's ours. I really feel like he would be as amazing as he is with any family, but I am SO grateful that he is with our family. That we get to experience his life with him and shape his life (hopefully in a positive way). We love our Aiden. He's our miracle.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Jill, this is Angie {Michelle's sister.}
I just wanted to say that I thought this was a great post and you had my husband and I laughing about your list of Who Was Adopted.
I don't know of any little boy that wouldn't want to be on the same list as Superman, Moses, Lambert and Todd. That's a pretty good set of folks to be associated with.
Thanks for the smiles this evening. It's what I needed!

Suzy Gordon said...

You have taught him exactly right. How could he be happier and what would we do without him? He brings tons of laughs and tons of love...because that is what you have taught him

combes said...

uncle Dan was adopted to not that he know who he is but just a fyi
good for you for teaching him about all that your such a good mom and dad

Moab Cozzens said...

How did I miss this post? And I did not know Lambert was adopted. The things you learn from your kids blogs. You could add Jesus to the list if it's not too confusing. (Is anything too confusing for Aiden, really?) He was Mary's natural child, but was adopted by Joseph the Carpenter :)

Taylor and Ruby Ricks said...

We need to get him together with Jaida, our neice that was adopted because she is his same age. I asked my bother inlaw once when he realized that he was adopted and he said, " well when did you realize you were a girl?" it made me understand that he just felt like he always knew.

Unknown said...

Sweet little Aiden is soooo special! I just love that little guy!