Sunday, June 21, 2009

the fruit of his labors

This is our first ripe (cherry) tomato from our little backyard garden. Honestly, it was a bit orange, and small, though for a cherry tomato it was kinda big. It's all relative right? We picked it because we were having Navajo taco's for dinner and had no tomatoes. It was the only ripe tomato there was, so we had one cherry tomato for all of us. Surprisingly, it was good enough, and it was delicious. Kenny let Aiden have the pleasure of picking the first one. And now, every day Aiden asks to go pick a tomato.


I'm really quite proud of my husband and the gardener he's turned out to be. So far we've had radishes (yuck! Those weren't Kenny's fault, I just hate radishes.) and now tomatoes. We've also got cucumbers, carrots, peas (which are the only things dying in the whole garden), jalapenos, lettuce, onions, cilantro, basil, and parsley. I hope the rest of the garden does as well as what we've already picked. It's been fun, maybe next year we can have an even bigger one.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I wish we could say the same, maybe Kenney needs to came teach us how to grow a garden. Or maybe I should just move there and my garden would grow.

Moab Cozzens said...

A tomato already? Don't tell Grandma and Grandpa Cozzens!

Knutson Family said...

Good job on your garden, guys! Isn't it seriously one of the most satisfying things to eat a meal with vegetables from your own garden?

I loved my bucket garden last year...

http://knutsonkorner.blogspot.com/2008/10/i-guess-summer-is-over.html

One of the more frustrating things about this move to Denver has been losing the space and ability to have a garden.

We've got no balcony on our third floor apartment, and no windowsills in which to set so much as an herb garden. Any suggestions, short of putting big potted vegetable plants on the living room carpet?