He said "oh yes there is" and took me to, of course, a golf course. But, it came complete with a bench, a big pond, and hundreds of ducks. I vowed to go there the next day with Aiden. So we did. We took a picnic lunch, along with our stale bread and leftover waffles from that morning.
As soon as we drove up, the ducks swarmed us. It freaked me out a little, and I figured it would freak Aiden out too, but he was totally fine.
He used up all of our bread, and I gave him his sandwich, and he wanted to throw pieces of his sandwich to the ducks.
I was amazed at all the ducks, although there were some pretty freaky ducks out there.

Like these weirdos. They acted like ducks, but they are so totally birds. See their feet? They're not webbed. And their beaks were pointy. These were the ones that freaked me out the most at the beginning, because when they were marching toward us, all I could see were their pointy little beaks. I called them duck-bird hybrids. I think I might call the authorities and make sure they know that this species exists. And if they don't, I'm gonna name them duck-birds. Pretty original right?

When they wanted to get across the pond, they just flapped their wings and ran right across. Like, with their feet. I couldn't believe it. The regular ducks would just float around, swimming like ducks do, and then these things would just run around the lake, and because they were so fast, they were the ones getting all the bread. I found myself dropping food right in front of the real ducks so that they would have a fighting chance.

Speaking of freaks, look at this duck (pictured above). It looks like it should have arms right?
Aiden's favorite was the huge (and it was huge) swan. This swan was too good for us, it didn't even care that we were throwing bread around, she must have a secret food source that the other ducks didn't know about cause she was huge.
This duck was my favorite.
And this was my favorite kid that was there that day.
He makes me smile.
5 comments:
You'll have to take us sometime! Porter would love to feed the ducks!
Jill, you crack me up.
Too bad you never saw Grandpa Knutson's weird ducks back in his heyday in the early '90s. He probably had a couple dozen ducks in all sorts of duck breeds or species or whatever they were. They were awesome. I love ducks.
Someday I'm going to dig a little duck pond on my little hobby farm, and I'm going to have all sorts of weird ducks like Grandpa. And kids can come throw bread to them all day long.
P.S., Is that shark on Aiden's shirt having a bowel movement in the water or what?
Your too funny Jill. I must admit that the duck that should have arms is pretty freaky. By the way, I don't know the Knutson's but I am DYING over the comment about Aiden's shirt. That is the funniest thing I have read/seen in awhile. HA HA HA!!!
Jordan, I LOVE that shirt and was so excited to find such a cute shirt for so cheap. You've ruined it.
I just realized I never commented on this blog. Actually, I thought I had, but what happened to it? You are becoming a great photog. Those duck pictures are good!!! I especially like the one of the duck running across the water with the water behind him still splashing. That would have been a blurry picture if I had taken it. Cute pictures of a cute boy, too :)
Post a Comment